Service Times

Service Times

Thursday, March 24, 2016

3/20/16 Sunday Sermon Notes

As we prepare for the celebration of Resurrection Sunday (Easter), I'm continually reminded that most of the stuff we see in the stores, on TV, and even from some churches regarding Easter, actually has nothing at all to do with what Easter is really about.  Referring to this celebration as Resurrection Sunday reminds us that Christ is the reason we're celebrating.  And what a wonderful reason to celebrate! Christ bore our burdens on the cross, he died, and rose again on the 3rd day - just like he said he would.  Can you fathom that? And Over 500 people saw him alive again.  Our God's not dead, He's very much alive.

Make time this week to read through the account of Christ's death and resurrection and then join us on Sunday.  We'll have an early service at 8:30 am and then a breakfast potluck, followed by our  11:00 am service.  We'd love to see you there.

This past Sunday we continued studying what Jesus went through before his death on the cross and resurrection.  His soul was so troubled, yet He willingly bore the punishment of each one of us on Himself.  He is one with the Father, yet in his fleshly body He was obedient to the Father.



Scripture References

John 12:27-50  (ESV)
27 "Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? But for this purpose I have come to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name." Then a voice came from heaven: "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again." 29 The crowd that stood there and heard it said that it had thundered. Others said, "An angel has spoken to him." 30 Jesus answered, "This voice has come for your sake, not mine. 31 Now is the judgment of this world; now will the ruler of this world be cast out. 32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself." 33 He said this to show by what kind of death he was going to die. 34 So the crowd answered him, "We have heard from the Law that the Christ remains forever. How can you say that the Son of Man must be lifted up? Who is this Son of Man?" 35 So Jesus said to them, "The light is among you for a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you. The one who walks in the darkness does not know where he is going. 36 While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light." When Jesus had said these things, he departed and hid himself from them. 37 Though he had done so many signs before them, they still did not believe in him, 38 so that the word spoken by the prophet Isaiah might be fulfilled: "Lord, who has believed what he heard from us, and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?" 39 Therefore they could not believe. For again Isaiah said, 40 "He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, lest they see with their eyes, and understand with their heart, and turn, and I would heal them." 41 Isaiah said these things because he saw his glory and spoke of him. 42 Nevertheless, many even of the authorities believed in him, but for fear of the Pharisees they did not confess it, so that they would not be put out of the synagogue; 43 for they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God. 44 And Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. 45 And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. 46 I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. 47 If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. 48 The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day. 49 For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment--what to say and what to speak. 50 And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I say, therefore, I say as the Father has told me."

Matthew 26:38-39  (ESV)
38 Then he said to them, "My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me." 39 And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will."

Matthew 26:46  (ESV)
46 Rise, let us be going; see, my betrayer is at hand."

John 18:37  (ESV)
37 Then Pilate said to him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world--to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice."

God’s Approval -  
1)  Matthew 3:17  (ESV)
     and behold, a voice from heaven said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased."

2)  Matthew 17:5  (ESV)
      He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him."

3)   John 12:28  (ESV)
      Father, glorify your name." Then a voice came from heaven: "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again."

4)   Hebrews 2:9-10  (ESV)
      9 But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned   with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste   death for everyone. 10 For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering.

The Light -
1)  John 12:35-36  (ESV)
     35 So Jesus said to them, "The light is among you for a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you. The one who walks in the darkness does not know where he is going. 36 While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light." When Jesus had said these things, he departed and hid himself from them.

2)  John 12:46  (ESV)
     I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness.

3)  John 1:9  (ESV)
     The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world. 

4)  John 3:19  (ESV) 
     And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather  than the light because their works were evil.

5)  John 8:12  (ESV) 
     Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." 

6)  John 9:5  (ESV)
     As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

7)   John 11:9  (ESV)
      Jesus answered, "Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not  stumble, because he sees the light of this world.

8)   John 12:46  (ESV)
       I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness.

9)   Matt. 5:14-16  (ESV)
      "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a  lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Ephesians 5:8-11  (ESV)
8 for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9 (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), 10 and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. 11 Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

Jesus and The Father -  
1)  John 12:44  (ESV)
      And Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent    me.

2)  John 12:49-50  (ESV)
     49 For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment--what to say and what to speak.  50 And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I say, therefore, I say as the Father has told me."

3)  John 10:30  (ESV) 
     I and the Father are one." 

Have a blessed week and a wonderful, Christ-centered, Resurrection Sunday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave us a comment. Please note that all comments will be sent directly to our email and reviewed before they are posted here.